Thursday, March 8, 2007

Tears like rain, only salty

Well, I'm bummed.

My FIL was told several months ago that his cancer had metastisized and was terminal (terminal being medical speak for 'now, go home and die quietly'). I was afraid he wouldn't make it to Xmas, but he did.

Now though, not so good.

I'm trying to prepare my kids for the worst. They don't remember my dad, who died over a decade ago. This is the only grandfather they have ever known, and now...

This sucks.

This is the man who was loved me like his own daughter for the last twenty years. I'm not ready to let go of him just yet.

It's just hard, ya know?

I know death is a part of life. That from the moment we first draw breath, the number of those breaths is limited. Finite. And still death manages to sneak up on us sometimes, manages to catch us unawares. Unprepared.

My DH went to visit him in the hospital tonight. I'll see him tomorrow.

I hope.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

That's really sad to hear. My husband's grandmother just passed away. She passed from Alzheimer's, which came on fairly quickly. But, since we knew that she was going to pass away soon, we took a lot of family pictures of her and my daughter together so that my daughter has something to remember her by.